[mrtg] mrtg log losing data

Matthew Petach mpetach at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 5 04:18:12 CET 2007

We used to have that problem.  Turns out the locking code in
MRTG is somewhat iffy, and a second instance from cron was
trying to write to the file while the previous instance was still
running, causing the file to get corrupted/truncated.

I wrote a perl wrapper for MRTG that implements better file
locking to prevent that from happening on our systems, and we
haven't had a recurrance of it ever since.

Matt