[mrtg] MRTG reporting incorrect results

Cook, Garry Garry.Cook at arcadis-us.com
Mon Nov 5 16:01:47 CET 2007

Have you mentioned what type of switch this is? Also, what is its function? Layer 3 or layer 2 switch? Give up some details Man...

While I wouldn't have arrived at the bad hardware conclusion, I don't think there is anything 'wrong' with your MRTG installation, so this may still be OT. However, the saving grace could be in the details of your switch config. I haven't done any L3 switching in a while, but I remember from a few years back that I had similar issues when attempting to graph this type of data with MRTG.

Thanks,
Garry

[snip]
This apparently started happening 2 weeks ago. All MRTG-monitored interfaces on one particular switch are showing identical graphs for all "Out" bandwidth. As expected, the report shows varying values for "In" Max/Average/Current for each port on the switch. However, each port has the exact same values for all "Out" Max/Average/Current. The blue line is exactly the same for all ports on all graphs beginning between at about week 41 1/2.  Obviously, this isn't possible

It doesn't appear to be something specifically wrong with MRTG itself because the rest of the monitored switches seem to be reporting correctly. The MRTG config for the switch in question hasn't changed in 3 months. I have already tried rebooting the switch and the machine hosting MRTG. Because I couldn't think of anything else to do, I tried regenerating the configuration file with an snmpwalk, but it's no different from the original config file.

I don't know what else to do except assume that I somehow have a bad switch?? Has anybody come across anything like this before?

NOTICE: This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are the property of ARCADIS U.S., Inc. and its affiliates. All rights, including without limitation copyright, are reserved. The proprietary information contained in this e-mail message, and any files transmitted with it, is intended for the use of the recipient(s) named above. If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this e-mail in error and that any review, distribution or copying of this e-mail or any files transmitted with it is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original message and any files transmitted. The unauthorized use of this e-mail or any files transmitted with it is prohibited and disclaimed by ARCADIS U.S., Inc. and its affiliates.