[mrtg] MRTG and Gigabit and 10GB

Daniel J McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Thu Nov 8 13:34:26 CET 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-08 at 09:39 +0000, John Cushnie wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a similar configuration with 1GB and 10GB port cards on a Unix
> server.
> Do I just need to add 64 bit counters to get the correct metrics?
Yes.

> Also where do the Max speeds reported for the interface come from?

from ifSpeed, which has a maximum of about 4Gb/s.  For higher-speed
interfaces, the value is supposed to be in ifHighSpeed

> 1GB is reporting 125.0 MB/sec
Correct.
> 10GB is reporting 536.9MB/sec

I can imagine it is reporting that.  I guess I had best go write a patch
for that....

But I don't have any 10G interfaces yet - they are on order, but I'm not
expecting to be able to install them before the middle of January.  If I
write a patch, can I ask you to test it?

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE #2495, CISSP #78281, CNX
Austin Energy