[mrtg] Bandwidth/Max Speed misreported

Tim Donnelly tim at coalliance.org
Tue Nov 20 20:57:13 CET 2007

I am running MRTG 2.15.1 on an OpenSuse 10.2 platform.  I am using cfgmaker
to create individual config files for all my monitored servers.  Recently I
noticed that on several boxes that should be reporting Bandwidth of One-gig,
MRTG is only reporting 100Mb.  I have confirmed using ethtool that the
interface is configured for gig speeds, and this is corroborated by the
Ethernet switch auto-negotiating at 1000Mb.

My monitoring server is on the same switch as the misreporting boxes.  In
addition, several other interfaces on different machines are correctly
reported.

The snmp versions are a mish mash.  The monitoring server is using 5.3.0.1.
The misreported boxes are using 5.4.rc2 and 5.1.3.1.

All of my configs are created using the same basic syntax:

/usr/local/mrtg-2/bin/cfgmaker --global "WorkDir: /www/docs/staff/mrtgrpts"
--global "Options[_]: bits, growright" -output
/usr/local/mrtg-2/cfg/janus.cfg

 [removed].coalliance.org

Is this caused by the different snmp versions?  Is there something else I
should be looking at?

Thanks for your help.

Tim Donnelly

System/Network Administrator