[mrtg] Bandwidth/Max Speed misreported

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Nov 20 21:38:19 CET 2007

I don't think this is anything to do with SNMP version.


It may be caused by the device itself.  I have noticed that *some*
network gear does not reliably report interface speeds - indeed,
sometimes the ifSpeed field is a user-settable variable that has not
relation to the actual interface speed.  This could be the case here.


You might like to make sure you're using SNMPv2 on both ends (which you
need to do for Gig interface in any case to get meaningful values).
This might solve the problem.  I can't remember the option to cfgmaker
to force SNMPv2 off the top of my head so you'll have to RTFM for it.


If all else fails, you can always edit the .cfg files and set the
MaxBytes[] value to the appropriate amount.  This is annoying though,
particularly if the cfgmaker is run automatically.




I am running MRTG 2.15.1 on an OpenSuse 10.2 platform.  I am using
cfgmaker to create individual config files for all my monitored servers.
Recently I noticed that on several boxes that should be reporting
Bandwidth of One-gig, MRTG is only reporting 100Mb.  I have confirmed
using ethtool that the interface is configured for gig speeds, and this
is corroborated by the Ethernet switch auto-negotiating at 1000Mb.


-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.oetiker.ch/pipermail/mrtg/attachments/20071121/66fee606/attachment-0001.html 

More information about the mrtg mailing list