[mrtg] Bandwidth/Max Speed misreported

Tim Donnelly tim at coalliance.org
Wed Nov 21 17:50:36 CET 2007

> I am running MRTG 2.15.1 on an OpenSuse 10.2 platform.  I am using
> cfgmaker to create individual config files for all my monitored
> servers.  Recently I noticed that on several boxes that should be
> reporting Bandwidth of One-gig, MRTG is only reporting 100Mb.  I have
> confirmed using ethtool that the interface is configured for gig speeds,
> and this is corroborated by the Ethernet switch auto-negotiating at
1000Mb.

>Sounds like you're not polling the 64 bit counters, add the SNMPv2
>version statement to the end of the host with :::::2

>See: http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/doc/cfgmaker.en.html#IDESCRIPTION

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the reply.  I did try that and it didn't change anything, MRTG
still thinks it is a 100Mb link.

>Steve wrote:

If all else fails, you can always edit the .cfg files and set the MaxBytes[]
value to the appropriate amount.  This is annoying though, particularly if
the cfgmaker is run automatically.

Thanks Steve,

I could do that, but my bigger concern is if MRTG is reporting the max
bandwidth as 100Mb, is it accurately reporting the in/out speeds?