[mrtg] mrtg graphs keep clearing out...?

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Thu Nov 22 14:26:35 CET 2007

On Wed, Nov 21, 2007 at 10:51:56AM -0600, Kevin Vlasich wrote:
> >can someone help me?
> >
> >my mrtg graphs keep clearing out and resetting.  the traffic starts logging
> fine, and after 12-24 hours >the graphs wipe clean.  what is going on?  i
> have fedora 8.
> >
> >i have a log directory specified, and within it is astro.log and astro.old.
> >
> >what could be causing this to happen???
>
> I'm having the same problem with mrtg 2.15.1 on Fedora 7 and posted about it
> on 10/30/2007.  One person responded that it may be a file locking problem
> (two copies of mrtg running at the same time), but that doesn't appear to be
> the problem I'm having.   Also, I noticed that my logfile goes missing on
> regular occasions and only the .old file remains.
>
> Has anybody else experienced this problem and/or found a solution?

Fedora (and others) have log rotation and cleaning procedures.

MRTG's file may end on .log, but it isn't such a file which needs to
be removed.

Perhaps someone (you, or some script's author) goofed up and touches
MRTG's log file.

Fedora's log rotation if fine for stuff like apache's html log files.
It should not interfere, in any way, with MRTG's data files.

HTH
Alex
P.S.
I think, in retrospect, Tobi should have named those files *.data
instead of *.log