[mrtg] mrtg log losing data

Kevin Vlasich vlasich at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 16:33:56 CET 2007

Hello,

I recently setup mrtg to monitor firewall traffic, but am experiencing some
difficulties.

My problem:
-----------------
My graphs seem to randomly lose all historical data at least once a day (no
errors in the mrtg.log file).  The corresponding mrtg-logfile shows all
zeros except for the first few entries when this happens.  Also, I noticed
that my logfile goes missing on regular occasions and only the .old file
remains.

My setup:
-Using mrtg version 2.15.1 on Fedora Core 7
-cronjob running every 5 minutes to pull data
-used cfgmaker to produce my config file and made a few small changes (added
WithPeak[_]: ymw, XSize[_]: 600, and YSize[_]: 200)

I'm a new mrtg user, but I've scoured the FAQ and haven't found any
resolutions to my problem.

Any ideas on why I'm loosing data in the mrtg-logfile?

Thanks!