[mrtg] MRTG Reporting in Bits

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Sep 26 23:34:54 CEST 2007

> Was going through a step-by-step for configuring MRTG and there was a
> line in the mrtg.cfg file that configured it to report in bits. I've
> deleted the line, deleted all the .png and .html files, but it keeps
> recreating the graphs in bits. Anyone know how to force it back into
Kb?

If you are using routers2 as a frontend, it will default to 'bits' if it
thinks the target is a network interface.  If you would prefer it to
default to bytes, then either add the line
'routers.cgi*Options[_]:bytes' to the .cfg file, or else add 'bytes=yes'
to the routers2.conf file (to make it a global setting).

If you are using the native MRTG display, then you probably still have
the bits option set somewhere.  Check for a global setting like
'Options[_]:bits' in your .cfg file (and any other files which it
Include:s) and remove the 'bits'.  Also, check that it really is
reporting in bits - it may be reporting in bytes now, but you have
overridden the ShortLegend and so it has the wrong label.

Steve