[mrtg] cfgstoragemaker replacement

DA Forsyth iwrtech at iwr.ru.ac.za
Fri Apr 18 12:32:36 CEST 2008

On 18 Apr 2008 , Nico Kadel-Garcia entreated about
 "Re: [mrtg] cfgstoragemaker replacement":

> > It is a shell/awk script combo, I don't do PERL (-:
> >
> ME! ME, ME, ME, ME, ME! Getting something vaguely supported to phase
> out cfgstoragemaker would be great!
>
> I've lacked the time to get hrStorage vagaries worked out, and
> cfgstoragemaker broke when I upgraded to RHEL.
>
> Shell is fine, I'm actually better with shell.

ok.  it does a snmpwalk to find the devices, then uses that info to
generate the CFG's.   I'll have a look at generalizing it more so
users don't have to edit awk scripts....

> > one question though:  at this time we are suffering blackouts every 2
> > days (2 hours long) and when a machine comes up it sometimes reports
> > the wrong (small) real memory size.  any ideas why?  (FreeBSD 6.2 at
> > the moment, will be 6.3 after Saturday, and 7.0 next week sometime)
> >
> Couldn't tell you. Is the *client* the problem, or the server?

I havn't figured it out yet because I'm regenerating the CFG's at
each boot but I'm not here to watch the boot and see what happens.
hmmm. maybe I'll force the absmax[] setting very high and watch the
graphs for a bit to see when the size value changes.  it must be some
time after boot.

--
       DA Fo rsyth            Network Supervisor
Principal Technical Officer -- Institute for Water Research