[mrtg] (no subject)

McDonald, Dan Dan.McDonald at austinenergy.com
Wed Aug 6 00:24:16 CEST 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 12:53 -0400, Rodge Stumbaugh wrote:
> If you hand edit the inc files, then any changes to devices after that
> would not be recognized, correct?

I think we've lost an antecedent somewhere...  If you hand edit the
files, then they are changed.  If you run cfgmaker again, it will write
over them.  Since the descriptions probably came from the description
directive on the interfaces on the cisco switch, the best way to fix
them would be to fix the description statements and re-run cfgmaker...

> I just want to be sure that first I need to change the info by hand
> and second that mrtg will recognize the changes.

mrtg only reads config files at startup.  So it matters how you are
running mrtg to know if mrtg will magically pick it up.

>  Like I said I am new to mrtg and wasn’t a part of the original setup,
> so it’s a little tricky to pick up.

agreed, particularly since there is more than one way to do it, and
neither of us know which choices the previous admin made.

> This is a windows environment, but I don’t see how that will make much
> different as we are talking about inc files.

If you are running mrtg as a service, with the runasdaemon directive in
one of the config files, then you will need to restart the service in
order to get the changed configuration files.  If you are running mrtg
from some sort of scheduler, on a 5 minute rotation, then mrtg will pick
up the changed configurations the next time it runs.

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE #2495, CISSP #78281, CNX
Austin Energy