[mrtg] How to setup the mrtg for monitoring more things

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Aug 18 05:45:53 CEST 2008

1. The port number is probably the default.  The OID depends on what you want to monitor: if you want network statistics, then MRTG will do this automatically.  The community string should be provided to you by whoever configured and maintains SNMP on the device you are monitoring.
2. Depends on the OS you are monitoring
2.2, 2.3 these OIDs actually change depending on how many storage devices are attached
2.4 With SNMP, these come in the standard location and MRTG can monitor them directly

We use the nsclient agent under windows and the mrtg-pnsclient.pl script to query it instead of using SNMP, its easier and possibly more secure.

I suggest you concentrate first on making it work with just network traffic, and probably on network switches and routers, before trying to monitor hosts and other host-related metrics.  These require not only more complex configuration to obtain the data but also you have to do other additional configuration in the labels etc.

Try to get it working in the simplest case (network traffic) first before trying to do server monitoring

Also read the MRTG configuration reference on www.mrtg.org<http://www.mrtg.org/> for more understanding of the Target[] definition.

Steve