[mrtg] How to Daemonize

Christopher Noyes cnoyes at csc.com
Fri Aug 29 16:30:57 CEST 2008

Actually, I've seen the same behaviour when trying to run MRTG as a
daemon.  It appears to run but the RRD files are not updated.  And it
isn't a permissions issue; the daemon is running with the same permissions
as when I run MRTG as a cron job.  The minute I switch back to cron the
RRD files start to get updated.  I don't know if this makes a difference
(I wouldn't think it would) but I am running Solaris 8 x86.  Really
strange.

-CN

Computer Sciences Corporation
Registered Office: 3170 Fairview Park Drive, Falls Church, Virginia 22042,
USA
Registered in Nevada, USA No: C-489-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
delivery.
purpose.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steve Shipway <s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz>
Sent by: mrtg-bounces at lists.oetiker.ch
08/28/2008 08:24 PM

"'Michele Ferritto'" <m.ferritto at gmail.com>, "'mrtg at lists.oetiker.ch'"
<mrtg at lists.oetiker.ch>
cc

Subject
Re: [mrtg] How to Daemonize

> Just tried but the rrd files remain (all) untouched....
> until now the only way is the crontab....
>
> Here follow the "master file":
> routers.cgi*Ignore: yes
> Forks: 10
> RunAsDaemon: Yes
> Interval: 1
> Include: /etc/mrtg/file1.cfg
> Include: /etc/mrtg/file2.cfg

If the RRD files are not being updated, then check permissions on them
(make sure they are writeable to the user the MRTG runs as) and check for
error output from the MRTG command.  Run it interactively as the
appropriate user or make sure it redirects the stderr and stdout output
into a file for viewing; maybe there is a helpful error message in there.
No RRD updates means MRTG is not running correctly.

Steve