[mrtg] Problem with MRTG Free Memory Graph

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Fri Dec 12 03:57:26 CET 2008

> Something appears to be wrong with how it displays and I am not sure how
> to fix it.  It shows k,M,G,T,P,X across my graph.  Is this a bug?
> I am running CentOS 5.2 with mrtg-2.14.5-2 RPM install
> ShortLegend[server.memory]: B
> kMG[server.memory]: k,M,G,T,P,X

(Graph image shows values as '1024.0 M,G,T,P,X')

Well this is really weird.  It is as if all the commas after the first in
the k,M,G,T,P,X are being treated as normal text...

My first reaction is to suggest you upgrade to MRTG 2.16.x as you're on an
old version; possibly this is a bug from that version.  Another option is to
switch to using RRDtool as the backend and either Routers2 or 14all as your
frontend; this will use different parsing and graph generation routines (and
be much more efficient).

Secondly, check your configuration file to make sure it really is a comma
there.  Some Windows editors might 'helpfully' put in something that looks
like a comma but is in fact a different character (this happens more often
with quotes).  Very unlikely but worth checking, I suppose.

Steve