[mrtg] Applying a time offset to graphs

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Sun Dec 14 04:42:24 CET 2008

I can think of several ways to achieve this.  They all require you to be using RRDTool though.

First, you can load the data in using a script of your own, instead of MRTG.  Keep a 'dummy' MRTG file around for the benefit of your web frontend, but dont run MRTG on it.  Instead, write your script to obtain the data, and then store it into the RRD file with an explicit timestamp, 45 mins in the past.  This will keep the data correct, and if you use the Routers2 frontend for MRTG/RRD you can set the 'uselastupdate' option in the routers2.conf so that the displayed graph will be based on the last update time rather than 'now'.

Second option is to write your own frontend or call to RRDTool to generate the graph.  An RRDtool function exists to shift data by a number of seconds time-wise so this would correct the offset; of course you'd need ot be using something like rrd-cgi to generate the graph and the command line would be pretty huge.

Third, you could define your own timezone of 'now-45min' and use that for the Target.  Since it would be displayed in the amended timezone this would effect a timeshift.  A bit messy, though, even if you can control the local server's timezone files (you cant do this on Windows as they're compiled into the library)

We have a similar problem for our mail server throughput logs, although the delay is only 10min.  We use the first method.

Steve