[mrtg] How can I get totals instead of rates ?

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Sun Dec 14 23:10:23 CET 2008

> 'Scuse me, but is this a support mailing list for MRTG or for Routers2 ?

This is of course a forum for MRTG; however as Routers2 is currently the
most ubiquitous frontend for MRTG and provides many features lacking in the
native interface it of course gets a lot of mention.  With many of the
things people ask 'how do I..?' questions for, the answer is currently 'use
RRDtool and Routers2, or code it all up yourself'.

There may be some misunderstanding here in not realising that Routers2 is an
add-on to MRTG/RRD, not a replacement or competitor?

> My main objection to trying Routers2 is that it requires a web server.
> All I want is to be able to monitor my own bandwidth use.
> I do not want to have to set up a web server just to do that.

Since MRTG outputs images and web pages, it is a natural assumption that
you're viewing these via a web browser/server combination.

Of course, setting up RRDtool, a web server and a frontend (such as Routers2
or 14all) requires more work and can seem overkill when all you're doing is
monitoring a single metric.

> Say Kyle:
> > Steve is trying to tell you that:
> > 1) It can not be done with plain MRTG or it's would be very
> > difficult to implement.
> > 2) It's easy to accomplish if you use the routers2 frontend instead.

That's basically it.  Native MRTG just does not have the built-in support
for this sort of functionality.  You'd have to code it yourself.

There are a few other third-party scripts though that will calculate these
total figures for you from the RRDtool database, if you don't mind that they
are not being served up with the generated web pages.  Of course these will
require you to move to an RRDtool backend, and that in turn requires a
web-based frontend such as 14all or Routers2!  See the 'contrib' directory
as shipped with RRDtool for these.  There may also be similar scripts
created for MRTG native-mode files (.log files) but I'm not aware of them.

Steve