[mrtg] [Fwd: Re: MRTG-bugs]

Lyle Giese lyle at lcrcomputer.net
Wed Dec 17 22:25:28 CET 2008

nangineni praneeth wrote:

> sorry for not being clear......I was using MRTG with rateup and i set
> the poll for every 5 minutes...I was monitoring tcp connections and as
> well as inbound and outbound traffic...I just gave an example on
> established tcp connections to show how MRTG is representing the green
> colour graph(showing everything from zero instead of a constant
> line)...Yes i do know that MRTG assumes zeroes in absense of
> traffic.But i have checked the logfile and there were no zeroes at
> all... This log file shows the entries of the number of tcp
> connections established...........

Not absence of traffic, but absence of data in your data files(for a
time period).  minor but significant difference to MRTG & rateup.

> it shows  8 8 8 8
>               8 8  8 8
> until i polled for the last time

This snippet shows the data, but not the timestamps on them. And you did
not post the captions against the graphs so we can see what the green
portion represented.  And the green uses a fill method in the graphs,
painting the area under the lines.  I also suspect you will have better
control over the graphing if you convert to rrd and use a frontend like
routers2 to make the graphs.

Lle