[mrtg] Running mrtg_total.pl in Ubuntu

Daniel Nechay dnechay at omniglobe.com
Mon Dec 22 20:02:58 CET 2008

Hi,

do people still use mrtg_total.pl? I noticed on Josef Wendel's website (
http://www.geocities.com/josef_wendel/mrtg_total.html) that the last update
was 2003 so I'm not sure if people still use it. I followed all his
instructions and set it up in ubuntu but I can't seem to get it to run. When
I run mrtg_total I get the following message (and mrtg has been running for
a couple of weeks now so it shouldn't be looking at empty files):

Use of uninitialized value in string ne at /usr/local/bin/mrtg_total.pl line
411, <MRTG> line 854.
Use of uninitialized value in string ne at /usr/local/bin/mrtg_total.pl line
419, <MRTG> line 854.
/usr/local/bin/mrtg_total.pl line 780.
/usr/local/bin/mrtg_total.pl line 785.
Use of uninitialized value in length at /usr/local/bin/mrtg_total.pl line
788.
/usr/local/bin/mrtg_total.pl line 792.
Use of uninitialized value in join or string at /usr/local/bin/mrtg_total.pl
line 494.
/usr/local/bin/mrtg_total.pl line 799.
/usr/local/bin/mrtg_total.pl line 803.
/usr/local/bin/mrtg_total.pl line 805.
Use of uninitialized value in numeric gt (>) at /usr/local/bin/mrtg_total.pl
line 289.
/usr/local/bin/mrtg_total.pl line 831.

Just a couple of questions:
How can I fix these errors?

When he talks about the database for mrtg he just means the log files right?

Where do the html files that the script makes get saved?

Is everyone able to find the libraries he says to download? I can't seem to
find GDTextUtil-0.80 (or better) or GDGraph3d-0.55 (or better).

Thanks.