[mrtg] MRTG/RRD Intermittent Graphs

McDonald, Dan Dan.McDonald at austinenergy.com
Mon Feb 4 18:37:27 CET 2008

On Mon, 2008-02-04 at 11:57 -0500, Darren.Terry at cox.com wrote:
> I went from a 32-bit linux system with 2.4 series kernel to a 64-bit
> linux system with a 2.4 series kernel. I went from MRTG 2.10.5 to
> 2.15.2. I went from rrdtool 1.0.XX to rrdtool 1.2.23. I also updated
> perl (I do not remember the old version) to 5.8.8.
>
> These devices share the vendor, Cisco. They are all being run from one
> config file. There are 5973 targets in the config file.

I'm assuming you used the same ip address, or that none of the cisco
boxes are filtering your new address.  If the new box is unable
administratively to conacted the new boxes, then MRTG would wait for
non-responsive boxes.  The default timeouts are pretty high - probably
fine for 56k lines but no good for low-latency enterprises.  I run mine
with these timeouts:
::2:1:1:{2,3}
That's try twice, wait 1 second before timing out.  I have a mixture of
snmp v2 and v3 devices (mostly v3).

You mention they are all Cisco devices.  Note that fwsm, pix, and asa
all require a specific ip address to be polled from, so it could be one
of them bollixing up the works.

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE #2495, CISSP #78281, CNX
Austin Energy