[mrtg] (no subject) ADDED: External Monitoring Script..

Thu Jun 12 17:05:23 CEST 2008

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 8:57 AM, Mark Tohill <Mark at u.tv> wrote:

> Why does the script need to return 2 values? Can I not plot the same
> value twice i.e. name the script for both in and out?

Not sure, but MRTG always requires 2 data points to build a graph.
They can be the same thing, just use NOO or NOI in your options to
exclude one or the other from being graphed. The first value in the
output will be graphed as "IN" and the second value will be graphed as
 "OUT".

> The OID does return two values, from CISCO-RTTMON-MIB. The two values
> are because it stores values for two hours, hence two values:
>
> [root]# snmpwalk 192.168.10.1 secret .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.42.1.3.5.1.2
> enterprises.9.9.42.1.3.5.1.2.2.17756118 = 60
> enterprises.9.9.42.1.3.5.1.2.2.18116118 = 35
>
> I simply wanted to grab the latest value i.e. for the past 1 hour, 35 in
> this case.

Sure, so you have an external script that does this math for you. No problem.

> I hoped to plot that initially, and then plot an average for the second
> line, same graph.

Not sure what you mean here. Unless the external script does something
with that averaging then I don't think this will do what you want. If
you use NOO or NOI, you'll get only one line (or field) of data
displayed.

HTH,

Eric Brander