[mrtg] Request: MRTG Installation and Configuration on Linux

Ogunmadewa, Oludare oludare.ogunmadewa at wachovia.com
Fri Jun 13 18:29:22 CEST 2008

Friends,

Novice needs help.

Current environment:

OS=                 2.6.5-7.286-smp x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Libgd=              gd-2.0.22-65.14

Mrtg=                mrtg-2.10.13-44.1

Apache=           apache2-2.0.59-1.1

Libpng=             libpng-1.2.5-182.14

Net-SNMP=       net-snmp-5.1.3.1-0.18

I will like to limit or eliminate requirements for "root" to
manage/administer MRTG.

I am thinking of re-installing MRTG and necessary tools in a non-root
file systems like /fire/ (/fire will is owned by another user).

Questions:

How can I have "root" install MRTG and other tools so that another
assigned user can have access to manage and administer MRTG?

Is it possible for me to install MRTG (to monitor cpu, memory, disk
space, files, swap, services and daemons) for html graphs and alert
notifications?

Do you have other advice for me?

Thanks for your help and input.

Oludare