[mrtg] Request: MRTG Installation and Configuration on Linux

Matthew Petach mpetach at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 13 23:30:39 CEST 2008

Sure, that's fine; here, for example, I create a user called "mrtg" and a group called "mrtg",
and then I install all the mrtg files into /home/mrtg; binary files go in /home/mrtg/bin/,
the data files go in /home/mrtg/data/, configs go in /home/mrtg/cfgs/

Then, I
"chown -R mrtg:mrtg /home/mrtg"
and
chmod 2775 /home/mrtg /home/mrtg/data /home/mrtg/cfgs

That way, anyone in the "mrtg" group can work on the mrtg files
without needing root access.  Any users that you want to be able
to work on your mrtg tree, just add them to the "mrtg" group in /etc/groups,
and voila, no more need to run things as root.

That way, all your crontab entries are also stored in the crontab for
the mrtg user, and are easily spottable when running "ps" or "top"
as separate from the root processes.

Hope that helps!

Matt