[mrtg] Old cfgstoragemaker problem, apparently hrStorage via MRTG on RHEL 5 is the culprit

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 10:23:16 CEST 2008

There's old software called cfgstoragemaker, which was very useful for
generating .cfg files for RAM and disk settings for individual hosts on
a per-host generated basis. Unfortunately, something nasty occurred in
the switch of servers from RHEL 4 to RHEL 5, and the generated mrtg.cfg
files no longer work.

The issue seems to be the use of 'hrStorage' variables in this setup for
MRTG. If I use bare, numerical OID's, it works correctly. I've been
careful to add what I think are the relevant MIB's, and snmpwalk and
cfgstoragemaker work fine, producing useful and legible .cfg files, but
they fail consistently.

But I don't have a decent tool to transform the 'hrStorage' settings to
numerical OID's, and have found it awkward to do manually. Does anyone
have a tool, or can explain the process well enough for me to automate
it? Or has anyone else encountered this and worked out a fix?

             Nico Kadel-Garcia