[mrtg] cfgmaker snmp Drop back to V1

Daniel J McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Mon Mar 10 13:02:46 CET 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-04 at 11:49 +0100, Pavel Ruzicka wrote:
> Hello,
>
> in cfgmaker 2.16.1 (2.15.2, 2.16.0) doesn't work
> fallback to SNMP V1 if check for HighspeedCounters failed.
>
> It works perfectly in 2.15.1.

In 2.15.2 the NoHC[] directive was added to solve problems with V3 and
fallback.  With snmpv3, you can't fall back to v1, as the credentials
are completely different, so we needed a different signal to identify
when to use the HC counter ans when not to.

What cfgmaker should be doing is leaving the polling as snmpV2 or V3,
but add a NoHC[] directive which should cause mrtg to poll ifInOctets
and ifOutOctets instead of ifHCInOctets and ifHCOutOctets.

I haven't looked at 2.16.0/1 yet, but see if cfgmaker is adding the
NoHC[] directive.  If it is, then it is a libmrtg problem that needs to
be fixed.  If not, then it is a cfgmaker problem that needs to be fixed.

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE #2495, CISSP #78281, CNX
Austin Energy