[mrtg] System Requirements for MRTG

Daniel J McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Mon May 12 14:04:31 CEST 2008

I'm polling 8008 targets, of which 6087 are snmp V3.  Single master file
run from cron at 5-minute intervals, 513 included files.  Our old
two-processor P3 1.3Ghz box was running out of steam with that much snmp
V3, and the SCSI raid-5 was taking too long (3 and a half minutes or so)
to write the rrdfiles.  So we recently replaced it with a two-processor
dual-core Xeon 3.0Ghz and (4) 15K SAS drives in a stripe-set using a
software-based raid (LVM).  Load average dropped from about 7 to 0.9,
and MRTG completes much more quickly (about 54 seconds, last time I
measured it)

This is running on Mandriva Corporate Server 4, kernel 2.6.12-31mdk

Also on the box are Hobbit, cammer, and bb-mrtg.pl, plus a few other odd
scripts for monitoring stuff.  The map application for hobbit (bbmap,
with hobbit patches) is now quite snappy - 5 seconds instead of about
30.  That includes drawing all of the routed links in the network and
looking up current bandwidth utilization from the mrtg rrd files.

Someday I'll try adding network weathermap
(http://www.network-weathermap.com)
It looks pretty cool.  Last time I had some time to play with it I
didn't have any cpu resources available for it.  Now I have CPU
resources, but no time...

--

Daniel J McDonald, CCIE #2495, CISSP #78281, CNX
Austin Energy