[mrtg] Seemingly incorrect data

Scott S. Heath SHeath at udi.com
Wed May 21 17:57:39 CEST 2008

I've got a fairly complicated network with MPLS, VPNs and Internet
connections that I watch with MRTG, every thing seemed to be working ok
until I dove deeper into the raw data.

I have both internet and MPLS going over the same physical interface
(using sub-ifs) so in theory my MRTG data for that interface should be
larger then what my MPLS provider is showing...problem is it's not, even
after I convert MRTGs numbers from bytes to bits...

MRTG Max Byte: 29435

MRTG Avg Byte: 10113

MPLS Provider Bit: 1241550

Any ideas? I'm not sure if my MPLS provider is giving me Max for that
day or an average.

Any ideas?