[mrtg] OID's missing or adjusted after changing hardware

Troy Wical troy at wical.com
Sat Nov 15 16:20:08 CET 2008

NET-SNMP version:  5.2.3
Linux 2.6.24-etchnhalf.1-686

I recently changed to a new machine and am having issues getting mrtg
back up and running.  The two hosts had the exact same kernel
installed.  However, the CPU and memory are significantly newer on
this host that I have moved to.  The MIB's that I was using on the old
host simply don't exist on the new one, and I can't find similar ones
on the new host that would seem likely candidates to replace the old
ones.

Here is an example of what I was using on the old host:

Target[host.cpu]: ssCpuRawUser.0&ssCpuRawIdle.0:[removed]@localhost
RouterUptime[host.cpu]: [removed]@localhost
MaxBytes[host.cpu]: 100
Title[host.cpu]: User and Idle CPU usage
PageTop[host.cpu]: <H1>User and CPU Load</H1>
ShortLegend[host.cpu]: %
YLegend[host.cpu]: CPU Usage
Legend1[host.cpu]: User CPU in % (Load)
Legend2[host.cpu]: Idle CPU in % (Load)
LegendI[host.cpu]: User
LegendO[host.cpu]: Idle
Options[host.cpu]: growright,nopercent
Unscaled[host.cpu]: ymwd

The 'ssCpuRawUser' and 'ssCpuRawIdle' simply don't exist on the new
host when I snmpwalk it.  And there seems to be nothing related.  Here
is the same config with two examples of MIB's I pulled from the new
host.  I ran these just to see if they would work, even though I knew
that would not be related to User and Idle cpu load....

Target[host.cpu]: hrSystemInitialLoadDevice.0&hrSystemProcesses.0:
[removed]@localhost
RouterUptime[host.cpu]: [removed]@localhost
MaxBytes[host.cpu]: 100
Title[host.cpu]: User and Idle CPU usage
PageTop[host.cpu]: <H1>User and CPU Load</H1>
ShortLegend[host.cpu]: %
YLegend[host.cpu]: CPU Usage
Legend1[host.cpu]: User CPU in % (Load)
Legend2[host.cpu]: Idle CPU in % (Load)
LegendI[host.cpu]: User
LegendO[host.cpu]: Idle
Options[host.cpu]: growright,nopercent
Unscaled[host.cpu]: ymwd

Here are the errors I get when I try to run the new config....

Unknown SNMP var hrSystemInitialLoadDevice.0
  at /usr/bin/mrtg line 2043
Unknown SNMP var hrSystemProcesses.0
  at /usr/bin/mrtg line 2043
2008-11-15 08:17:54: WARNING: Expected a number but got '4:17:16'
2008-11-15 08:17:54: WARNING: Expected a number but got 'host'
2008-11-15 08:17:55: ERROR: Target[host.cpu][_IN_] ' $target->[1]
{$mode} ' did not eval into defined data
2008-11-15 08:17:55: ERROR: Target[host.cpu][_OUT_] ' $target->[1]
{$mode} ' did not eval into defined data

Thanks in advance for any help.  Search engines have defied me on this
one.

Peace, Troy