[mrtg] Performance

Tue Nov 18 23:46:16 CET 2008

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 2:49 PM, McDonald, Dan <
Dan.McDonald at austinenergy.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-11-18 at 15:40 -0600, Johannes Prost wrote:
> > Hello Dan,
>

> they are all in mrtg.cfg, as Include: statements.
>
> The parser reads common.cfg first, then each of the 600 or so devices,
> one at a time, and builds a single data structure in memory to drive all
> of the other processes.

I use to run a common cfg like you do but I had problems when one bad poll
or typo in an included config would break the entire polling process (though
I think that might be "fixed" now so that it just keeps going I haven't
tried it). I also liked having a different log file for each of my devices
and that didn't work with a single config with includes.

So run my configs using a script that searches the configs folder
(recursively) and runs MRTG against what it finds. I run it from cron every
minute.

I also time each run and write that data to to a log and then MRTG against
it so I can keep track of (including thresholds) my polling intervals.

I realize this method is likely not as effecient but it works very well for
what I do. I use RRDTool so I don't have problems with polling times really.
I don't have as many configs as some of you, with only 29 running 5-minute
intervals, and 31 running at 1-minute intervals for a total of 3078 targets.
If I had 600 devices I bet I'd have to do something like Dan does.

Anyway, if anyone would like to see my run script send me a note and I'll
shoot it to you. Heck, I'm a shell n00b so it might be a mess and give you a
good laugh at least.

Eric Brander