[mrtg] MRTG lock file

Matthew Olson molson at saionline.com
Tue Nov 25 16:41:39 CET 2008

I am having periodic problems with my MRTG server.  MRTG is all I have
running on this server.  It is a VMware virtual server with a 3.2Ghz
Dual-Core AMD Opteron and 512MB RAM running Windows Server 2003 SP2.  We
have been experiencing some system issues that have yet to be pinpointed
and it seems that it may be messing with MRTG.  I get about 5
Information messages in the Application log:

"The description for Event ID (1000) in Source (MRTG) cannot be found.
The local computer may not have the necessary information or message DLL
files to display messages from a remote computer.  You may be able to
use the /AUXSOURCE=flag to retrieve the description; se Help and Support
for details.  The following information is part of the event:
c:/perl/lib/Win32/EventLog.pm line 199"  (or very similar to this
message, with slight differences)

Immediately followed by the Error in the log:

"The description for Event ID (1000) in Source (MRTG) cannot be found.
The local computer may not have the necessary information or message DLL
files to display messages from a remote computer.  You may be able to
use the /AUXSOURCE=flag to retrieve the description; se Help and Support
for details.  The following information is part of the event: 2008-11-24
09:41:10 ERROR:  I guess another mrtg is running.  A lockfile
(C:\mrtg-2.15.2\bin\mrtg.cfg_l)  aged 87348 seconds is hanging around
and I can't remove is because another process is still using it.  at
C:\mrtg-2.15.2\bin\mrtg line 1776."

MRTG does not update after this message is recieve.  We have tried
killing mrtg and deleting the lock file but it will not go away.  Reboot
of the server has been the only resolution we have found thus far.  Any
help would be greatly appretiated

__________________________________
Matt Olson
Systems Engineer
Securities America Financial Corporation
(402) 399-9111 ext. 3361
(800) 747-6111 ext. 3361
molson at saionline.com <mailto:molson at saionline.com>

Securities America, Inc., a Registered Broker/Dealer, Member FINRA/SIPC.
Advisory services offered through Securities America Advisors, Inc., an
SEC Registered Investment Advisory
The text of this communication is confidential, and use by any person
who is not the intended recipient is prohibited.  Any person who
receives this communication in error is requested to immediately destroy
the text of this communication without copying or further dissemination.
Your cooperation is appreciated.