[mrtg] MRTG lock file

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Nov 25 22:31:21 CET 2008

First of all, it is not recommended to run MRTG under VMware, due to clock
skew issues which will affect the reliability of your statistics.

Next - you can get the required DLL from the contributors directory on
mrtg.org so that the Windows messages are a bit more friendly.

The second message tells us the lock file is still there (but very old) but
cannot be removed because another mrtg process is still running.  First,
check the file C:\mrtg-2.15.2\bin\mrtg.cfg_l actually exists.  Make sure the
file, and the directory, have write permission to the user which is running
MRTG - possibly you used a different account to test things and left a file
with incorrect permissions?  Then, check that there are no MRTG processes or
services currently running - possibly you have started MRTG in daemon mode,
so it is running and has the file open?

Not knowing how you have installed MRTG makes it difficult to diagnose this
since I do not know if you've installed it to run as a daemon, run as a
service, or run from a scheduler.  There is clearly some process holding the
file open so my guess is that you've still got a MRTG running, somewhere.

Steve

  _____