[mrtg] Mbit/s versus Mibit/s

Joao Ferreira gmail joao.miguel.c.ferreira at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 12:43:06 CEST 2008

Hello all,

I've used MRTG a lot in the past. Know I've come to a problem and I
remembered to ask MRTG people's opinion. I'm not an expert in the area,
not at all. So I'dd like to get expert's advices.

I need to plot Bandwidth usage for my network interfaces (Fast Ethernet
and Gigabit Ethernet).

What is the usual unit for displayin these values ?

is it Mbit/s (1000 x 1000 bits per second)

or

is it Mibit/s (1024 x 1024 bits per second)

I've been reading this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_prefix

and I understand the diference but I have no idea what is the common
practice among professionals / experts / people in the area of network
traffic/sysadmins/whatever.

is this just a "matter of preference" or is there a "well known
established practice" ?

BTW, how does MRTG represent it ? is it Mbit/s or Mibit/s ?

Thanks a lot
Joao