[mrtg] mrtg latest version and platform question

Raymond Joseph Kopp rjkopp at syr.edu
Fri Oct 3 15:49:11 CEST 2008

Thaks for your reply.

I'll have to figure out a few of these answers.  Then get back to you.

Though I can tell you we monitor about 15 or so routers, and that is
about
all.

I believe we are using snmp V2.

If rrdtool is what comes with the initial package that is what we use.
(seems familiar - but I'll have to check)

I tend to think that our usage would not be too intensive as our main
interest is just watching our core routers and a few other very
specialized
switches or routers that serve very specific needs.

We have some other tools we use for complete campus management and
monitoring
(mix of NetVigil and CiscoWorks - though we are really re-evaluating
these and
very much undecided in which direction we will go)
We have a router core of about 15 devices (mostly Cisco 6500s and then a
few 3700
switches for specialized applications such as traffic shaping,
firewalls, and
some of our most key applications [Active Directory] and our
Administrative
Applications [PeopleSoft].  Also within that core are devices linking in
remote
locations, usually not bringing in too much traffic, but still needing
monitoring,
traffic analysis and trending.

Ray