[mrtg] adding a new probe to the cfg file

McDonald, Dan Dan.McDonald at austinenergy.com
Wed Oct 8 00:19:45 CEST 2008

On Tue, 2008-10-07 at 13:18 -0700, Gail Glick wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am new to mrtg and need to add a new probe to the existing cfg file.
> I have looked over the documentation but am still fuzzy on how to go
> about doing this. How do I run cfgmaker and then append that to the
> existing file?

./cfgmaker foo at bar.example.com >>mrtg.cfg

That's a fine way to deal with things if you have only a few hosts to
monitor.  With a large environment generating individual files per host
and using Include: statements is the only way to keep sane.

One of these days I'll write an Include: that is optional, (cf.
include() and require() in php) so that missing one file doesn't kill
the whole run for the other 600 hosts....

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE #2495, CISSP #78281, CNX
Austin Energy