[mrtg] Can Mrtg cause a Router to crash because of the snmpquerys?

McDonald, Dan Dan.McDonald at austinenergy.com
Thu Oct 9 23:08:54 CEST 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-09 at 13:31 +0000, Jack Bauguer wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Im trying to build a traffic analyzer based on Mrtg here for my
> company, (10 big routers 80 switches 80 servers Cisco/Nortel).
> There was an argument about creating this Mrtg-Server, some people
> claim it would be suicidal, because many of the routers and switches
> operates with heavy traffic and cpu load (about 75-85%) and querying
> these elements every 5 minutes would collapse the network.

As long as you are using snmp v2, the footprint is very light, since the
module uses the bulkwalk form to get the information.  With snmp v1 it's
a tad heavier, and snmp v3 has the crypto overhead.

But I've never seen 15% CPU utilization due to 5 minute polls, so to say
you would consume whatever is left with mrtg is rather hard to believe.

And having good trend graphs may help you figure out how to get CPU
utilization down.  You do want to fix the problem, don't you?

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE #2495, CISSP #78281, CNX
Austin Energy