[mrtg] Can Mrtg cause a Router to crash because of the snmp querys?

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Fri Oct 10 00:06:46 CEST 2008

Our network here is way larger (1500 switches, 60 routers, 1320 hosts), and we poll not only network traffic but also stats for multicast traffic and CPU use on the core switches and routers, all at 5min intervals.  There is no discernable load on the switches from the SNMP queries.  Of course, our main switches are only on about 20% load, but remember that these queries are only simple network traffic ones.

Note that, since SNMP is UDP traffic, and low priority to a switch, the SNMP queries will simply be dropped in favour of TCP traffic if a link is overloaded and not resent.  You'll get greyout on your MRTG graphs (if using routers2) or blanks.  Most switches/routers will ignore SNMP queries in favour of forwarding packets.

If your network is running at 85% loading I'd say you have other more serious issues in capacity planning to deal with!  If a few SNMP queries every 5min would cause a network collapse, then you're at far more risk from (eg) someone opening a web browser...

Steve