[mrtg] effects of changing interval on existing databases

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Oct 29 06:06:11 CET 2008

> Thank you, Steve, but this one is still tackling me: If I change
> Interval from 5 to 10 then apparently MRTG will start polling devices
> once every 10 minutes, so new data will by design be added 10 mins apart
> to the old logfile? How could it remain at the same 5 mins apart
> resolution?

Remember the logfile will still have 5min interval 'buckets', not matter how often you decide to poll for data.

You will end up with probably nothing.  This is because your MRTG (in daemon mode) will only poll every 10mins, so MRTG will only store data in every other 'bucket' in the database.  This means you'll have only 50% of the data and the rest will be unknowns, so the XFF setting will probably result in your data all being displayed as unknown...

> BTW I can only imagine how graphs will look at 10 minute resolution.
> Probably not too familiar ;) We've really got used to the classic 5
> minute graph layout.

Chunky daily graphs.  But not too bad, and just the same at the lower resolutions (weekly, monthly, yearly)

Steve