[mrtg] Need help on CPU info collection

Li Wei Nan l.weinan at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 13:13:54 CEST 2008

Hi Everyone,

	I'm trying to collect our server's CPU usage information with the
help of MRTG. However, I met some problems on doing it and cannot find
the reason.

	I have two servers. Let's call it S1, S2.

	S2 is running MRTG to collect the CPU info from S1.

	In S2, I execute this command: snmpwalk -v 1 -c public S1 UCD-SNMP-
MIB::ssCpuRawUser
	And it can give me the result correctly: UCD-SNMP-MIB::ssCpuRawUser.0
= Counter32: 90081

	Similar to above, the ssCpuRawNice and ssCpuRawSystem are also works
fine.

	In my mrtg config file in S2, I have such config:

	Target[cluster1.cpu]:ssCpuRawUser.0&ssCpuRawUser.
0:public at 172.16.6.183 + ssCpuRawSystem.0&ssCpuRawSystem.0:public at 172.16.6.183
  + ssCpuRawNice.0&ssCpuRawNice.0:public at 172.16.6.183
	Title[cluster1.cpu]: Server CPU Load
	PageTop[cluster1.cpu]: <H1>CPU Load For Cluster1- System, User and
Nice Processes</H1>
	MaxBytes[cluster1.cpu]: 100
	ShortLegend[cluster1.cpu]: %
	YLegend[cluster1.cpu]: CPU Utilization
	Legend1[cluster1.cpu]: Current CPU percentage load
	LegendI[cluster1.cpu]: Used
	LegendO[cluster1.cpu]:
	Options[cluster1.cpu]: growright,nopercent
	Unscaled[cluster1.cpu]: ymwd

	And I've imported MIB as instructed:

	LoadMIBs: /usr/share/snmp/mibs/UCD-SNMP-MIB.txt

	But the CPU info is not collected by MRTG at all. What confuses me is
that Memory Info Collection is working correctly. And same to CPU
info, Memory Info also use MIB: UCD-SNMP-MIB.txt. And checking from
snmpwalk, both CPU and Memory info can be collected by S1 correctly.
But why does the CPU info collection work with MRTG? Can any one gives
me some info?

Thanks,

- Li Wei Nan