[mrtg] MRTG : How to print Serie Legend + Max/Min/Avg IN graph ?

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Sep 3 04:28:04 CEST 2008

An excerpt from the forthcoming MRTG/RRD/Routers2 book which may help you, in the Advanced Techniques chapter, section on linking from other applications:

Network Weathermap
http://www.network-weathermap.com/
The Network Weathermap program, created by Howard Jones, works well with the MRTG/RRD/Routers2 setup.  When configuring, you need to specify URLs for destination links ( 'INFOURL' ) and for obtaining popup graphs ( 'OVERLIBGRAPH' ).  Both of these URLs can be generated for Routers by identifying the MRTG configuration file and the Target name.
In the example below, the configuration file is node1.cfg and the Target name is node1_1.  The other options ensure that we are looking at the Daily graph and (in the case of OVERLIBGRAPH) that the image is created at the correct size.
Note how 'page=image' is used to retrieve just the graph image without the surrounding HTML and frame set, and 'xgtype=ds' sets the graph to be 'Daily Summary' - that is, the Daily graph as used in Summary pages, which does not have a legend and is smaller sized.

LINK node1-node2

  BANDWIDTH 1000000K

  INFOURL /cgi-bin/routers2.cgi?xgtype=d&rtr=node1.cfg&if=node1_1

  OVERLIBGRAPH /cgi-bin/routers2.cgi?page=image&xgtype=ds&xgstyle=x&rtr=node1.cfg&if=node1_1

  TARGET /usr/local/rrd/node1_1.rrd:ds0:ds1

  NODES node1 node2

Anyone who wants to discuss how to do this sort of thing in more detail may wish to meet up at the MRTG BoF session on Nov 12th at LISA08, in San Diego this year.

Steve