[mrtg] In and Out require different scale

David Schieber David at Schieber.us
Sat Aug 15 23:10:46 CEST 2009

Hi:

I've got what I think is a pretty simple set up. I have an NT server that runs MRTG 2.16.2. I'm interested in the outbound traffic on the WAN port of my router because I'm hosting a few web sites and want to be sure that I have sufficient bandwidth. I have a 1.5mbps(In)/384kbps(out) DSL internet connection. I can pretty much max the inbound side under some circumstances so that the In/Out graphs show very little detail for the outbound traffic. When I add the noi option so that the inbound traffic is hidden the scale of the Y axis doesn't appear to adjust to the relatively low volume of the outbound traffic but appears to remain adjusted for the relatively high volume of inbound traffic.

I haven't found a command in the reference that I understand will correct this situation? I've tried adjusting maxbytes and adding noscale without success. I think there is a simple solution I've overlooked.

Thanks in advance for your help!

David Schieber