[mrtg] serverirons CPU utilization

McDonald, Dan Dan.McDonald at austinenergy.com
Thu Aug 27 22:10:28 CEST 2009

On Thu, 2009-08-27 at 09:15 -0500, Barun wrote:
> Thanks  Daniel.
>
> I have set  MaxBytes to 10000. The graph is showing utilization value as
> 700 (I have not set  Factor[vodclb01-mn-cpu]: 0.01 ).
>
> This oid is of type gauge32. I thought that it returns % CPU utilization.
> But, I was wrong.

snmp values are integers, so perMyriad is usually used rather than
perCent.  That way, you can represent 7.57% as 757, and still use
integers.

Another typical use of that is that Decibels are usually represented as
CentiBels...

The use of Factor[] allows you to change the scale from something
precise to something readable.

>  Could you please let me know what type of values gets
> stored in gauge32 or how CPU utilization gets collected in gauge32
> variable? I am bit confused!

I've only seen one system that represented CPU ticks in snmp - an old
Bay Networks ATM switch that measured microseconds of elapsed CPU.  You
could then compute utilization as a normal counter....

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE # 2495, CISSP # 78281, CNX
www.austinenergy.com