[mrtg] Help- I've created a monster

Daniel J McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Fri Aug 28 22:39:16 CEST 2009

On Fri, 2009-08-28 at 11:24 -0700, Rob Dover wrote:
> Greetings
>
> I currently have somewhere around 500 – 600 nodes that I manage with
> MRTG / RRDTool / Routers2 and thousands of interfaces.
>
> Managing the config files for all these devices is getting to be quite
> a challenge.
>
> Is there a utility or add on that anyone can recommend to streamline
> this?  I am not looking for a display front end, just something to
> help manage the config files.

I have a similar number of devices, with unique snmp credentials for
every device (and, we change a few every day, just for kicks!)
Similarly, there are a wide range of devices, so I have custom templates
for each class of device (router, firewall,ups,temperature probe, etc).

To keep track of the mayhem, I track all hosts in a database.  There is
a script that I wrote to collect the information from the database, test
all hosts to see if they are alive (can I snmpget sysInfo?) and generate
appropriate cfgmaker command lines as well as a mrtg.cfg file with
Include: statements for all of the alive devices.  It does a few other
things for our Xymon alerting system as well.

My scripts are fairly custom to our environment, but that's the sort of
thing you would need to do to get a handle on it all.

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE # 2495, CISSP # 78281, CNX
www.austinenergy.com