[mrtg] Fwd: Re: MRTG exact sampling interval

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at vandenbogaerdt.nl
Mon Dec 28 17:54:21 CET 2009

> It's called normalization.  Not only is the difference 5 minutes, you will
> also see that every timestamp is a whole multiple of 5 minutes (300
> seconds).

[snip long explanation]

I have to add:

What I think I know is because this is how RRDtool should work. I think it
also applies to rateup, thus MRTG.

If not exactly like this, then at least it will work similar.

There may be other factors, such as calling MRTG more than once in one
polling interval. Using the same technique (copying numbers every time MRTG
has run, for a couple of time, then doing the math by hand) will show what
happens in such a case.