[mrtg] Wrong Values

Freddie Cash fjwcash at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 01:04:31 CET 2009

On February 27, 2009 3:25 pm Niall O'Reilly wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-02-27 at 11:41 -0800, Freddie Cash wrote:
> > You have to install and use a
> > front-end like mrtg-rrd, 14all.cgi, routers2.cgi, and similar.
>
> 	I know about those three, and have had not quite enough
> 	success in either bending them to my purposes or the converse.
> 	My current view is that both mrtg-rrd and 14all.cgi are
> 	'too light', while routers2 is 'too heavy'.

14all.cgi is okay if you only have a handful of targets spread across a few
machines.  Once you get into dozens of targets per machine, across dozens of
machines, located at multiple sites, it becomes very limiting.

> 	As RRDtool offers significant advantages over rateup with
> 	regard to deriving composite views from different datasets,
> 	I'll be giving this more time very soon, and may discover
> 	that I've missed something.

routers2.cgi is very nice, especially if you enable the groups mode.  It
takes a bit of getting used to, but it's very flexible and powerful ...
without being horribly difficult to configure.

The one downside to it is that the documentation isn't all that easy to
read, and is kind of scattered.  The demo site is useful, although the
formatting of the config file makes it very hard to pick out just the bits
you are trying to understand.

> 	I'ld be interested to know about the ones you mean by
> 	'similar'.  Thanks in advance.

I can't recall any off-hand, but I know there are others out there.  I
stopped looking after finding and testing routers2.cgi.  It does everything
we need (so far).

--
Freddie
fjwcash at gmail.com