[mrtg] noSuchName (fwd)

Justin M. Streiner mrtg at cluebyfour.org
Fri Jan 2 20:08:36 CET 2009

On Fri, 2 Jan 2009, Andrea Bencini wrote:

>  I installed
>  mrtg-2.15.1-6.fc8
>  and it is running well. I create some cfg files and I haven't any problem,
>  but in one
>  when I create the cfg file I receive this error
>
>  [root at tool script]# mkdir -p /var/www/html/mrtg/fw
>  [root at tool script]# perl /usr/bin/cfgmaker public at 10.0.0.10 --global
>  "workdir: /var/www/html/mrtg/fw" --output /etc/mrtg/fw.cfg
>  --base: Get Device Info on public at 10.0.0.10:
>  --base: Vendor Id:
>  --base: Populating confcache
>  --coca: populate confcache public at 10.0.0.10:
>  SNMPWALK Problem for ifName on public at 10.0.0.10::::::v4only : Received
>  noSuchName(2) error-status at error-index 1
>  at /usr/bin/../lib/mrtg2/MRTG_lib.pm line 1626
>  --base: Get Interface Info
>  --base: Walking ifIndex
>  --base: Walking ifType
>  --base: Walking ifAdminStatus
>  --base: Walking ifOperStatus
>  --base: Walking ifMtu
>  --base: Walking ifSpeed
>  --base: Writing /etc/mrtg/fw.cfg
>  [root at tool script]#

Are other config files / MRTG instances successfully polling this device?

The negative response you received generally means one of the following things
happened (or didn't happen):
1. The device you're trying to poll is using a different community name than
what you have listed in your cfgmaker syntax
2. An ACL on the device could be preventing the SNMP agent from processing the
request, i.e. only a specific set of hosts are allowed to send SNMPGETs to the
device.
3. The SNMP agent is not listening on the interface you're trying to poll, or
that specific interface is down.  Are you polling an address on a specific
physical interface, or are you polling a loopback interface?
4. The SNMP version of the query you're sending doesn't match what the agent on
the device is running, i.e. you're sending a v1 request but the device is
expecting v2, v2c, or v3.

To me, seeing a "NoSuchName" response would suggest that the SNMP agent on the
device received your request and denied it for some reason.

If you have access to the device in question, compare its SNMP configuration to
devices that you can poll successfully.

jms