[mrtg] hwto integrate something external

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Sun Jan 4 22:18:26 CET 2009

> * May the in/out values be negative?

Yes, but you need to use RRDtool as the backend, and manually rrdtune the
RRD files to make the lower limit appropriate (MRTG sets it to 0 and it is
not currently settable in the .cfg file).  Also, you may need to give extra
options to your frontend (eg routers2) to display the range correctly.

> * May the in/out values be floating point? Eg. 1.34

Yes, if you are using RRDtool as your backend.

> My script emmits the following strings:
> --base: Get Current values: in:271, out:271, up:UNKNOWN,
> name:temp_collector, time:1230999585

All looks OK then.

> And finaly the problem...
> The graphics are not updated. :-(

Check your MaxBytes value is correct (is 271 too big?)
Check that your client and server OS times are correct (graph images can be
cached and not re-retrieved)
Check that the .rrd file is actually getting updated - look at the last
modification time (permissions errors?)

Hope this helps...

Steve