[mrtg] MRTG 2.16.2 supports SNMP v3

McDonald, Dan Dan.McDonald at austinenergy.com
Thu Jan 8 14:08:40 CET 2009

On Thu, 2009-01-08 at 12:14 +0530, Siva Prasad wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using mrtg 2.16.2, please can any one tell me does mrtg 2.16.2
> supports SNMP v3.

Yes, with a couple of caveats:
1.  You need to load the net-snmp libraries (and perl bindings) for snmp
v3 support
2.  Although the docs for MRTG say it supports aes192 and aes256 privacy
encryption, the net-snmp library doesn't currently support those options
due to the way keys are transmitted, so you are limited to either des or
aes128.  And I think aes128 requires the use of sha1 hashes, since the
problem with aes192 is that the hash of the privacy password is used as
the crypto key, but a sha1 hash only provides 128 bytes of data, so they
don't have enough key material.
As I recall, the aes128 support requires an extra perl module -
Crypt::Rijndael.

I currently poll about 200 devices with snmp v3, including a fair number
with aes128

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE #2495, CISSP #78281, CNX
Austin Energy