[mrtg] MRTG vs. Cricket

McDonald, Dan Dan.McDonald at austinenergy.com
Sat Jan 31 00:25:01 CET 2009

On Fri, 2009-01-30 at 15:05 -0800, Patrick Topping wrote:
> I have been polling the 64-bit counters from the beginning.  Below is a
> sample from the CFG file:
>
> Target[xxx.xxx.xxx_TenGigabitEthernet10_4]:
> \TenGigabitEthernet10/4:XXXXX at XXXXX:::::2
>
> I know that the graphs are off because I still have Cricket graphing the
> same devices as MRTG.  I left Cricket in place while I migrated
> everything over to MRTG.  When I look at the graphs on the same 10-gig
> interface and look at the actual 10-gig interface on the router, the
> Cricket graphs seem be more accurate.

so, you are polling the locIfOutBitsSec and locIfInBitsSec variables
with Cricket?  Those would match the "show interface" values on the
router, but they are not accurate.  They are exponentially weighted to
give preference to the last 15 seconds of traffic, rather than a
straight-line average of the number of bytes actually transmitted.

The ifHCInOctets and ifHCOutOctets will give you statistically better
information over the long term.  And precise numbers is you want totals.

If you want to compare, just create a separate target for the locIf{In|
Out}BitsSec OIDs, set options[]: guage, and see if those match
precisely.