[mrtg] MRTG daemon won't update with user and group different then root

Rafael Possamai rafaelpossa at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 21:22:19 CEST 2009

Hello everybody,
I have researched on Google about this problem but I haven't found anything
that could help me solve my problem. In order to save some system resources
on my two servers running mrtg, I decided to take mrtg out of the crontab
and run it daemonized. I added the user mrtg with groups mrtg and root, like
the following:

---
# finger mrtg
Login: mrtg                             Name: MRTG Daemon
Directory: /etc/mrtg/                   Shell: /bin/bash

# id mrtg
uid=1005(mrtg) gid=1005(mrtg) groups=1005(mrtg),0(root)
---

I figured this configuration would work. I chowned all mrtg files to
mrtg:mrtg and added mrtg to group root in order to be able to write pid and
lock files in different directories then its home (/etc/mrtg).

When I start mrtg as a daemon with user and group 'mrtg' it works but it
won't update any info. I tried running it without specifying user and group
(so it runs under root:root) and it worked just fine. How could I fix this?

Thank you very much for any help available!
Sincerely,
Rafael