[mrtg] MRTG Not updating after upgrade

Noob Centos Admin centos.admin at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 19:13:45 CEST 2009

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 12:41 AM, Rafael Possamai<rafaelpossa at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think that script has accurate data, at least on my debian lenny. It gets
> the load average, not the current load. And memory it will take
> buffers/cache data. It is really simple though.

Sorry, I wasn't implying your script was faulty in anyway. Quite
obviously the problem is my setup isn't reporting the right values
because I screw up somewhere and your script proves that both MRTG and
it is executing correctly, just that my server is giving them garbage
data to work with.

> About SNMP, I have never used it. I was actually going to start figuring it
> out because it is more reliable and gives you out way more data. I would
> suggest you to take a look here:
> http://vegan.net/MRTG/concepts.php
> http://ruleoftech.wordpress.com/2007/06/18/quick-howto-setting-up-snmp-and-mrtg/

Thanks for the links, the 2nd one looks really useful!

> If you must take the data from the snmp, I guess you will have to figure it
> out, but if you are just using this "for fun" or for curiosity, try some of
> those scripts, its much easier (not that I'm lazy, hehehe).

Unfortunately I'll have to figure it out soon. Hopefully the scripts
from the second link would work when plugged straight in and buy me
time to figure things out. I'm still bewildered by how on earth did I
get MRTG to work before the update, since I didn't had to do a thing
to the config file previously.

Thanks yet again for your valuable help! :)