[mrtg] MRTG on UBUNTU problem

Padraigh Holohan padraig at premierbb.ie
Sun Jun 7 13:21:52 CEST 2009

Hi,
I had this installed and working perfectly but while to add more machines to be monitored to it it stopped working. since then I have installed and uninstalled it countelss times and made sure that all the mrtg files were also removed before doing a fresh installation.
I now get the following error: ERROR: I Quit! Another copy of mrtg seems to be running. Check /etc/mrtg.pid

When I do a sudo ps aux | grep mrtg I get the following:

root      3347  0.0  1.6  14128 11912 ?        Ss   00:50   0:00 /usr/bin/perl -w /usr/bin/mrtg /etc/mrtg.cfg
podge     4567  0.0  0.1   3336   800 pts/0    S+   12:19   0:00 grep mrtg

BTW I also have nagios running on the same server and it is trying to use MRTG but returns the following error also:

check_mrtgtraf: Unable to open MRTG log file